What is this?

Welcome to Lurking in the Pages!! This is a review blog for books. The reviews are short for a purpose. If you just happen to walk into Chapters and see a book that interests you, whip out that handy dandy smartphone of yours and check out my review.
Reviews-To-Go!

Happy reading!

Friday 15 January 2016

Teardrop by: Lauren Kate






     I first encountered Lauren Kate's writing when browsing through the shelves of a local bookstore when I happened upon a book called Fallen. I was about thirteen at the time and begged my dad to get me the book. I ended up leaving the store with both Fallen and Torment. at the time I was looking for a book I could read in the car or when I was bored. Neither book lasted the weekend. I sat in my room for two days reading. Lauren Kate is probably one of my all time favorite authors. When she announced a new series I wasn't sure how to feel about it. The Fallen series set the bar fairly high and I doubted Teardrop could be as good.
     I was right. it wasn't as good as Fallen.
     It was better.
     I have read more books in seven years than most people have read in a lifetime. I have read about vampires, shadowhunters, werewolves, faeries, angels (Both fallen and otherwise), ghosts, and everything else you could think of. Teardrop was nothing like any of that. It was better. Teardrop isn't like every other book. it's magical.
    Teardrop is about a girl named Eureka. She survived a car accident caused by a freak wave. Her mother did not. It is something Eureka never lets herself forget. Soon a mysterious boy named Ander shows up with a warning. Eureka is in grave danger. Left with only a book in a language she can't read, a locket she can't open and a rock she can't understand Eureka must find out what danger she is in. And find a way to save herself. With her friend Brooks acting strange and everyone walking on eggshells around her Eureka has never felt more alone. But does she have someone, even if it means putting everyone she loves in danger?
 When I first started Teardrop I thought "okay, this isn't too bad." This book's plot reminded me of a mountain. You start climbing at the bottom and think to yourself "This isn't too bad. It'll be worth it at the top." Then you get to the middle and you think you're so close and the closer you get to the top the faster you climb because it's exciting. Then you finally reach the top and you see a sunset that captures your heart.
     That's what the plot feels like in this book. You start in the beginning and you are intrigued. So you keep reading and reading as the book gets more and more interesting and intense. Then you get to the end and everything makes sense and all your questions are answered. Until the last page you think "This is it . It's gotta be the end." Then you read that final page and you realize that you only have half the story.
     Lauren Kate's characters are so real I felt like they were sitting with me while I read. Eureka is so well developed you can feel all the pain she does. You can almost touch the hurt. The there's Ander. He's mysterious, sweet, and completely devoted to Eureka. He is everything every girl dreams of and so much more. 
     This book is perfect for people who love mystery, anguish, and Greek mythology. A YA must have.

No comments:

Post a Comment